Wahga is a town and association committee (UC 181) situated in the Wahga Zone of Lahore, and border in Punjab which is known as Wagah Border. Wagah Border has situated 32 km from Amritsar and 24 km from Lahore, lies on the historic Grand Trunk Road between Lahore and Amritsar in India. It is also 3 km from the bordering village of Attari.
The town is famous for tourists attraction for the Wagah border ceremony :
Border crossing ceremony
- The Wagah-Attari border function occurs at the border gate, 2 hours before nightfall every day.
- The lowering flag ceremony is led by the Pakistan Rangers and Indian Border Security Force (BSF), like the retreat services at Ganda Singh Wala/Hussainiwala border intersection and Mahavir/Sadqi International Parade Ground fringe crossing.
- The March Pass ceremony, known as the “Silly Walk Ceremony”, is led each night along with the Flag Ceremony. The Ceremony began in 1986 as an understanding of harmony, in spite of the fact that there was not a contention around then.
- The Ceremony begins with a boasting march by the soldiers from the two sides and winds up in the superbly planned bringing down of the two countries’ Flag. It is known as the Beating Retreat border ceremony on the international level.
- At the hour of the retreat, the border resembles a battleground, as the parade is led with noisy yells and overwhelming foot stepping by the troopers.
- A type of walking where warriors lift their legs high is known as “Goose Marching”.
- This parade proceeds for 45 minutes. The Beating Retreat Ceremony begins at 5:15 PM in summer and 4:15 PM in winter.
Nearby Places: Golden Temple, Jallianwala Bagh, Guru ke Mahal, Hall Bazaar, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum.
Best Time to visit: The Border crossing ceremony starts at 4:15 p.m. in winters and 5:15 p.m. in summers.
Peak Season: December to March.
How to Reach: To visit the Wagah border on the Indian side, you will initially need to visit Amritsar. Wagah Border is 27 km away from Amritsar. In the wake of coming to Amritsar take open transport till Attari station. From Attari you can take a cycle rickshaw to cover the 3 km separation till the Wagah border or you can hire a private taxi or jeep to arrive at the Wagah border.
- By Air:
- By Rail:
- By Road: